Clin Oncol | Volume 3, Issue 1 | Review Article | Open Access

Ovarian Granulosa Cell Tumors: A Retrospective Study of 21 Cases and a Review of the Literature

Imtinane Belaid1*, Mghirbi Fahmi1, Jaidane Lilia2, Makrem Hochlaf1, Faten Ezairi1, Imene Chabchoub1, Leila Ben Fatma1 and Slim Ben Ahmed1

1Department of Medical Oncology, Farhat Hached University Hospital, Tunisia
2Department of Pathology, Farhat Hached University Hospital, Tunisia

*Correspondance to: Belaid Imtinane 

Fulltext PDF

Abstract

Background: Granulosa cell tumors are rare tumors with a relatively favorable prognosis. The aim of this study was to report the epidemiologic, anatomo-clinical characteristics and to determine treatment modalities and survival rates.Methods: We retrospectively analyzed data from patients treated for granulosa cell tumors in our hospital over a 17-year period (1998-2015).Results: Twenty-one cases were retrieved. The median age was 52 years. The most common clinical manifestations at diagnosis were post-menopausal bleeding and pelvic pain. Mean tumor size was 10 cm. 76.2% of the patients were diagnosed with a stage I disease. One patient (4.8%) underwent unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, 4 patients (19%) underwent a total hysterectomy with unilateral salpingo-oophorectomy, while 15 patients (71.4%) underwent a total hysterectomy with bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. One patient had only a biopsy. Relapse rate was 14.3% and the latest recurrence was seen 60 months after surgery. Actuarial 10-year Relapse Free Survival (RFS) and Overall Survival (OS) were 85.7% and 90.5% respectively.Conclusion: Granulosa cell tumor of the ovary is an uncommon neoplasm. The adult form progresses slowly and is often diagnosed in an early stage of disease. Surgery is the mainstay of treatment. A prolonged post-therapeutic follow-up is necessary because very late recurrences have been reported.

Keywords:

Drug therapy; Granulosa cells; Ovarian neoplasms; Surgery

Citation:

Belaid I, Fahmi M, Lilia J, Hochlaf M, Ezairi F, Chabchoub I, et al. Ovarian Granulosa Cell Tumors: A Retrospective Study of 21 Cases and a Review of the Literature. Clin Oncol. 2018; 3: 1530.

Subscribe to Our Newsletter